42 learners taking this course
In this course, we review recent research on statin therapy. We will cover high quality research investigating its use in primary prevention, intermediate risk, and the elderly. We cover important recent publications such as the USPSTF’s formal research review. We also investigate research on natural alternatives to statins in statin intolerant populations as well as research on associated adverse events.
- Outline the effect of statins on cardiovascular and mortality outcomes in primary prevention.
- Critique bias in the literature and understand how it plays out in the statin evidence base.
- Differentiate statin benefits based on baseline risk and level of prevention.
- Explain the benefits of statin alternatives in statin intolerant populations.
- Assess the strength of association between statin medications and commonly ascribed side effects.