- Naturopathic Aesthetics: Supporting the Skin Barrier 2h 00min
Naturopathic Aesthetics: Supporting the Skin Barrier
Our training as Naturopathic Doctors places us in a unique position to effectively counsel patients regarding the many internal avenues in supporting various dermatological conditions. From dietary therapy to oral supplements, we are well versed in this regard. This is often the very reason dermatology patients seek our advice. As efficient as we are in this realm, we cannot lose sight of those clinical situations where skin deep measures can be a key component of our treatment plan. As evidence grows regarding the role our various skin layers play, we can now appreciate how disruption to the function of the skin’s epidermal barrier is implicated in the development and/or amplification of many dermatoses. Fortunately, much research has been building to help guide suitable methods of repairing and optimizing the function of the skin barrier. Much of this research centers around topical product categories and specific cosmeceutical actives. This course is designed to distill this information, while providing a variety of clinically beneficial avenues for those engaged in a general, dermatological, or aesthetic-focused practice. These include:
- A detailed review of the epidermal skin barrier, and how its disruption is associated with the likes of: acne vulgaris, atopic dermatitis, rosacea, psoriasis, allergic and irritant contact dermatitis, and xerosis
- To review how the alterations of certain epidermal lipids, such as ceramides, and other constituents, such as Natural Moisturizing Factor, seen in various dermatologic conditions, transition into their evidence-based use as topical cosmeceuticals key to their management
- The essential, and often overlooked, role played by selecting the appropriate type of face/body skin cleanser and moisturizer for your patient. A role so important, that they would be best conceptualized more as ‘therapeutic’ cleansers and moisturizers
- A research-based exploration of both established and emerging barrier-supportive cosmeceutical active ingredients, for use on their own and/or for inclusion in cleansers and moisturizers. Among those we will discuss include: niacinamide, hydroxy acids, colloidal oatmeal, and the more recently popular use of Centella asiatica
- As was first introduced in the Facial Aging CE course, this course will also provide examples of how these cosmeceutical product types, and ingredients, are formulated together…complete with clinical pearls for practice integration!
In addition to the goal of facilitating your exploration of the clinical relevance of supporting the epidermal skin barrier, this course is designed to provide the course-taker with a breadth of information. This includes numerous resources and references from which you can build upon. It is very much encouraged to explore these as a means of obtaining a deeper breadth of the topics we review.
What You’ll Learn
- Describe the detailed structure of the skin barrier, including processes surrounding its maintenance
- Distinguish between the various functions embedded within the epidermal barrier
- Recognize the role of physiologic lipids (such as ceramides, fatty acids, and cholesterol) in the maintenance of the skin barrier
- Distinguish between the 2 common nomenclatures used to classify ceramides
- Identify the evidence-based associations between an altered skin barrier and various dermatological concerns, including acne, atopic dermatitis, forms of contact dermatitis, xerosis, rosacea and psoriasis
- Understand the role of proper skin pH in the maintenance of the skin barrier
- Recognize the various groups of frequently used surfactants in cleansing formulas
- Learn how to prevent and treat skin barrier alterations via topical cosmeceuticals, such as optimal cleanser-type selection, physiologic lipid-based moisturizers, and individual cosmeceutical actives such as niacinamide, hydroxy acids, among others
- Integrate clinical pearls explored as based on course information
- Explore examples of how various cosmeceutical actives may be combined in skin barrier focused product formulations
- Contrast studies which explore therapeutic effect(s) of skin barrier topicals with those assessing for product characteristics and user-rated evaluation
What’s Included With Your Purchase
✔ Lifetime course access
✔ 24/7 online access to course
✔ PDF of certificate of completion
✔ Certificate of completion available immediately upon finishing the course
✔ CEs / PDAs as outlined below
Proudly celebrating over 15 years in the profession, Dr. Rob Ayoup, ND, has worked to promote the rich benefits of Naturopathic Medicine to all those he has worked with. After achieving his BSc in Psychology from McGill University, this proud Montreal native traveled down the highway to attend The Canadian College of Naturopathic Medicine in Toronto. Graduating in 2002, and settling in the Toronto area, Dr. Rob has enjoyed a career filled with varied and unique ways of offering Naturopathic Medicine to the public.
Dr. Ayoup has applied Naturopathic Medicine across multiple avenues. In addition to clinical practice, these include working as a CCNM recruitment representative and teaching assistant; organizing & teaching various public CE courses at CCNM; a Naturopathic consultant for one of Canada’s largest nation-wide Employee Assistance Programs; and proudly has penned a portfolio of published articles covering both general & retail-focused topics in natural medicine. Dr. Rob is currently a contributing author to the Naturopathic Currents website.
The bridge into Naturopathic Aesthetics began soon after graduation. Upon completing additional training in Cosmetic Facial and Cellulite Acupuncture, Dr. Rob soon found a strong interest in his patient population for less invasive and natural approaches to skin health and beauty. This was accelerated by the recognition that, although well trained for managing common skin concerns, the knowledge base for the ever-growing and prevalent realm of natural-based cosmetics and cosmetic techniques was underexplored. As Dr. Rob studied and integrated these therapies into his practice, he quickly realized how much Naturopathic therapies, and especially our approach, can offer in the arena of Aesthetics Medicine. Working within various medical spa and fitness facilities have offered a wonderful opportunity to integrate Naturopathic Aesthetics in the Toronto area. Building on his passion for constant learning & teaching, Dr Rob is eager to educate his fellow NDs as to this exciting application of Naturopathic Medicine.
Frequently Asked Questions
All you need to do is go to your My Courses page and login! You’ll create your password at checkout and your username is your e-mail address. If it’s your first time logging in, there are a few profile questions you’ll be asked to fill out first.