- Mastering Herbs: Uterine & Ovarian Pain 1h 30min
Mastering Herbs: Uterine & Ovarian Pain
Menstrual pain, pelvic pain, and ovarian pain are common female complaints and ones that often respond readily to herbal therapies. To best treat the underlying conditions contributing to uterine pain, this presentation will also discuss the causes of hyperestrogenism and how it can be remedied with natural therapies. Because uterine and ovarian pain is often accompanied by PMS and bleeding irregularities, herbs that are specifically indicted for menorrhgia, menopausal complaints and other specific presentation will be woven into our pain management discussions. Based on folkloric materia medica, specific indications of herbal medicines, and Dr. Stansbury’s 30 years of clinical experience, this clinical presentation will offer effective formulas and treatment approaches to these common presenting complaints.
- List what herbs are considered to be uterine “tonics” and what are their specific indications for inclusion in reproductive organ pain formulas
- Learn what herbs are considered to be uterine sedatives, appropriate for acute spasms
- Learn what herbs are uterine stimulants fitting the classic definition of an emmenagogue
- Learn how pelvic stagnation and vascular congestion contribute to pelvic and uterine pain, and what herbs are specifically indicated for such situations
- Learn what herbs are considered to be uterine hemostatics to help manage hemorrhage and menorrhagia
- Be familiar with the specific indications of herbs to improve menorrhagia and uterine cramps
- Detail which are some of the most effective herbal tools for managing dysmenorrhea
- Be able to assist patients in using medicinal foods such as pineapple, ginger, and fennel to manage pelvic and reproductive pain
- Be able to use topical herbal medicines to manage uterine and pelvic pain
- Be able to create finely tuned and individualized herbal formulas to best treat specific patient situations and presentations
Dr Jillian Stansbury is a licensed naturopathic physician with 30 years experience, specializing in women’s health, fertility, PCOS, adrenal and thyroid disorders, and endocrine imbalances. She also treats immune and allergic disorders, and chronic disease including diabetes, osteoporosis, metabolic syndrome, and heart disease, as well mental health disorders including anxiety and depression.
Dr Stansbury served as the Chair of the Botanical Medicine department at the National College of Naturopathic Medicine in Portland, Oregon and remains on the faculty. Dr Stansbury enjoys keeping up with the latest research in natural products chemistry and sharing the developments with other health professionals, as well as delving deeply into traditional and folkloric wisdom on the uses of plants as foods and medicines. Dr Stansbury compiles her research and presents some 10-20 original research papers at medical conferences each year, and has published numerous scholarly articles and several books, including Herbs for Health and Healing, and PCOS Health and Nutritional Guide. She is the author of Herbal Formularies for Health Professionals - a comprehensive herbal formulary text based on her decades of research and clinical experience (published by Chelsea Green).
Dr Stansbury is also an ethnobotanist and has conducted field studies in the Peruvian Amazon for over a decade, living and studying with the Wachiperi, Matstigenka, Bora, and Yagua communities for many years, as well as studying Andean plants. She has created photo, video, and herbarium archives of the plants that she has learned and has published several books on this material as well, including Stung by the Rainbow, and the Mystical and Medicinal Plants of the Andes and Amazon. She leads ethnobotany field courses for nature, adventure, and plant enthusiasts in the Iquitos and Manu regions of the Peruvian Amazon each July 20-30, and winter holiday. Email Dr Stansbury for more information at [email protected]
Frequently Asked Questions
All you need to do is go to your My Courses page and login! If it’s your first time logging in, there are a few profile questions you’ll be asked to fill out first.