61 learners taking this course
Functional gastrointestinal conditions are extremely common and there are few tools to manage patients with them in conventional medicine. Non-erosive esophageal reflux disease (NERD), functional dyspepsia (FD), irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), and upper intestinal bacterial overgrowth (UIBO) are four of the most commonly encountered functional syndromes discussed in depth in this presentation. Mechanism- and tradition-based herbal treatments are highlighted, with reference to clinical trial data whenever available. Case studies are used to show how to apply the information provided.
- Learn how to effectively treat patients with NERD, FD, IBS, and UIBO using herbal medicines.
- Individualize herbal treatment for patients with functional GI conditions.
- Explain the role of dilated intraepithelial spaces or other types of increased permeability in the causation of functional GI conditions, and be able to treat these underlying issues effectively.
- Clinically differentiate IBS-D, -C and –M and individualize treatments for patients with each condition.
- Understand the difference between bitters and carminatives, and thus be able to effectively apply them to patients.