- Functional Gastrointestinal Conditions 1h 30min
Functional Gastrointestinal Conditions
Functional gastrointestinal conditions are extremely common and there are few tools to manage patients with them in conventional medicine. Non-erosive esophageal reflux disease (NERD), functional dyspepsia (FD), irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), and upper intestinal bacterial overgrowth (UIBO) are four of the most commonly encountered functional syndromes discussed in depth in this presentation. Mechanism- and tradition-based herbal treatments are highlighted, with reference to clinical trial data whenever available. Case studies are used to show how to apply the information provided.
- Learn how to effectively treat patients with NERD, FD, IBS, and UIBO using herbal medicines.
- Individualize herbal treatment for patients with functional GI conditions.
- Explain the role of dilated intraepithelial spaces or other types of increased permeability in the causation of functional GI conditions, and be able to treat these underlying issues effectively.
- Clinically differentiate IBS-D, -C and –M and individualize treatments for patients with each condition.
- Understand the difference between bitters and carminatives, and thus be able to effectively apply them to patients.
Eric Yarnell, ND, RH(AHG) graduated from Bastyr University (Seattle, WA) in 1996, after which he completed a two-year residency with master herbalist and physician Silena Heron, RN, ND in Sedona, AZ. Dr. Yarnell served as chair of the department of botanical medicine at Southwest College of Naturopathic Medicine (SCNM; Tempe, AZ) where he also taught gastroenterology, urology/men's health, and pulmonology/sleep medicine. He has served as senior and associate editor of the Journal of Naturopathic Medicine. He has been in private practice or supervising students since 1997. He is chief medical officer at Northwest Naturopathic Urology. He is a founding member and current president of the Botanical Medicine Academy (Seattle, WA), a specialty board for practitioners who use herbs.
Currently Dr. Yarnell is associate professor in the botanical medicine department at Bastyr University and adjunct faculty at SCNM. He is a co-founder and chief financial/operations office of Healing Mountain Publishing, Inc., a publisher of natural medicine textbooks for students and practitioners. He is also president of Heron Botanicals, Inc. an herbal pharmacy providing hand-crafted, whole plant extracts exclusively to health care providers.
Dr. Yarnell is author of numerous texts and articles including Natural Approach to Gastroenterology 2nd ed and the forthcoming Natural Approach to Urology and Men's Health 2nd ed. He is co-author of Clinical Botanical Medicine 2nd ed and the A-Z Guide to Drug-Herb-Vitamin Interactions. He is a contributing author for The Textbook of Natural Medicine 4th ed and Principles and Practice of Phytotherapy: Modern Herbal Medicine 2nd ed. He has lectured widely.