- Functional Groups: AromaChemistry’s Great Debate 1h 15min
Functional Groups: AromaChemistry’s Great Debate
Functional Group Theory isn’t perfect – but it isn’t antiquated either. Functional groups still play an important role in understanding the chemistry and therapeutic action of essential oil components. In this 1.25-hour presentation, Dr. Tim Miller reviews the functional group theory model, focusing on its limitations and past misinterpretations in aromatherapy, while postulating on its modern-day relevance. Armed with plenty of evidenced-based research, he has revised the use of this system so that it more accurately represents aromatherapy chemistry and therapeutic action, and makes an otherwise obscure theory not only more accessible, but clinically applicable.
In true Dr. Tim fashion, this course presents a great case for how we can still utilize this model as a foundation for learning the chemistry of essential oils, with a heavy hand of his infectious enthusiasm for aromachemistry, and a healthy dose of levity along the way.
- Introduce Functional Group Theory, breaking down arguments both for and against it
- Investigate the question of functional groups influencing therapeutic action, and the possibility of generalized categories of distinction
- Review applicable concepts of AromaChemistry as it pertains to Functional Group Theory
- Illuminate clinical manifestations of chemical groups
Timothy Miller ND, LAc, RA is a naturopathic physician, licensed acupuncturist, and registered aromatherapist. He is a graduate of the National College of Natural Medicine (NCNM) in Portland, OR.
Dr. Tim is a chemistry nerd. He is fascinated by the chemistry found in the natural world. Fueled by the abundant, potent, and unique components within aromatherapy, Dr. Tim has sought to understand how essential oils act on the body and identify which clinical applications are best incorporated into practice.
Dr. Tim first began his aromatherapy studies in 2005. He has since traveled the world to advance his understanding of essential oils and their clinical implications. Dr. Tim has studied with Rhiannon Lewis, Mark Webb, Gabriel Mojay, Kurt Schnaubelt, and Jeffrey Yuen. He has successfully completed a National Association of Holistic Aromatherapy (NAHA) approved course and has completed the requirements to become a registered aromatherapist. He is a member of the Aromatherapy Registration Council (ARC).
Beyond his love of aromatherapy, Dr. Tim is an avid traveler and student of foreign languages. He enjoys spending time with his family, watching movies, and being in nature. Dr. Tim loves to learn new things and is driven by self-improvement and emotional intelligence.
Dr. Tim believes deeply in Docere and loves to teach. He is an international speaker, workshop leader and contributing author. He believes learning should be fun and makes every attempt to engage his students in a profound and meaningful way.
Dr. Tim has taken part in several podcasts discussing a range of topics. Please find them below:
1. AromaChemistry with Dr. Tim - NAHA's Beyond Aromatics Podcast
2. How to Fall in Love with Essential Oil Chemistry with Dr. Tim - Atlantic Institute of Aromatherapy and Nyssa Hanger
3. Conscious Living with Dr. Tim - The Orson Wells Show
4. The Naturopathic Journey with Dr. Tim - Eight Billion Podcast
5. Don't Throw Away Your Shot with Dr. Tim - LabAroma Podcast