- Nutrition Update 2h 00min
Nutritional Medicine: Nutrition Update 2018
As author of the widely popular Nutritional Medicine textbook, Dr. Alan Gaby has dedicated his career to investigating the interplay between nutrition and health outcomes. In this 2-hour lecture, he presents compelling research and clinical pearls surrounding the role of common foods in disease management, the efficacy and safety of strict dietary changes with chronically ill patients, and the use of other nutritional interventions–such as probiotics, vitamin supplementation, single amino acids, and potent antioxidants–with a multitude of health conditions.
The material presented in this lecture is designed as an update to the research and clinical advice presented in the last publishing of Nutritional Medicine, creating a valuable resource for both owners and non-owners of the textbook alike.
- Explore recent research on the use of dietary modifications for the prevention or treatment of common medical conditions, including osteoporosis, irritable bowel syndrome, chronic urticaria, and psoriasis
- Investigate the use of nutritional supplements for the prevention or treatment of common medical conditions including cardiovascular disease, depression, congestive heart failure, fibromyalgia, addictions, and functional abdominal pain
- Discuss potential adverse effects of specific nutritional supplements and on the influence of nutritional deficiencies and nutritional supplements on lab test results
- Incorporate a wider array of dietary modifications and nutritional supplements into clinical practice
Dr. Gaby received his undergraduate degree from Yale University, his M.S. in biochemistry from Emory University, and his M.D. from the University of Maryland. He was in private practice for 19 years, specializing in nutritional medicine.
He is past-president of the American Holistic Medical Association who has given expert testimony to the White House Commission on Complementary and Alternative Medicine on the cost-effectiveness of nutritional supplements. He is the author of Preventing and Reversing Osteoporosis (Prima, 1994), The Doctor’s Guide to Vitamin B6 (Rodale Press, 1984), the co-author of The Patient’s Book of Natural Healing (Prima, 1999). Dr. Gaby has written numerous scientific papers in the field of nutritional medicine. He has been the contributing medical editor for the Townsend Letter for Doctors since 1985, and was contributing editor for Alternative Medicine Review from 1996 to 2010.
He was professor of nutrition and a member of the clinical faculty at Bastyr University in Kenmore, WA, from 1995 to 2002. In 2011, he completed a 30-year project, the textbook Nutritional Medicine, and has recently completed the updated Second Edition of the book.
Frequently Asked Questions
All you need to do is go to your My Courses page and login! If it’s your first time logging in, there are a few profile questions you’ll be asked to fill out first.