- Naturopathic Aesthetics: Emerging Cosmeceuticals 1h 15min
Naturopathic Aesthetics: Emerging Cosmeceuticals
The world of cosmeceuticals is ever-growing as more and more products come to market on a regular basis. While there is no shortage of products derived from key cosmeceutical categories, such as naturally-sourced antioxidants, some of the more unique ingredients are being developed thanks to research accomplishments in other dermatological areas such as wound healing.
This course will introduce you to one of the most prevalent groups of emerging cosmeceuticals: those of peptides, growth factors, and stem cell-derived products. Specifically, we will review some of the key subtypes of peptides, including carrier and signal-based, enzyme-modulating, and neurotransmitter-inhibiting; common constituent of growth factor and cytokine-based cosmeceuticals; and the latest innovations in the stem cell derived product realm. For each, we will also review the established role and benefit in managing the photoaging and hyperpigmentation processes, highlight samples of research studies, and explore the theoretical (and often debated) risks cited in the literature.
Given that many cosmetic companies are now featuring items in their product line containing these popular ingredients, delving into this arena will help expand the knowledge base for all aesthetically-focused practitioners.
- Explore the various types of peptide-based cosmeceutical categories
- Identify and understand the differences between the various types of peptide products used in cosmeceutical preparations
- Review the role, benefit, mechanisms of action, and clinical/aesthetic applications for specific types of peptide cosmeceuticals, growth factor formulations, and stem cell-derived products
- Explore and appreciate the connection between the wound healing process and how it relates to the intrinsic/extrinsic causes of the skin aging process
- Understand the role of growth factor, cytokine, and stem cell-derived products in the context of the wound healing-photoaging model
- Identify the methods and theories by which peptides, growth factors, cytokines are believed to penetrate the skin to achieve their cosmetic effects
- Appreciate the various evaluation methods used in current cosmeceutical research studies
- Understand how certain peptide and growth factor cosmeceuticals can be combined with various medical spa procedures for a synergistic benefit
- Understand the currently debated theoretical risk associated with the use of growth factor and stem cell-based topicals
Proudly celebrating over 15 years in the profession, Dr. Rob Ayoup, ND, has worked to promote the rich benefits of Naturopathic Medicine to all those he has worked with. After achieving his BSc in Psychology from McGill University, this proud Montreal native traveled down the highway to attend The Canadian College of Naturopathic Medicine in Toronto. Graduating in 2002, and settling in the Toronto area, Dr. Rob has enjoyed a career filled with varied and unique ways of offering Naturopathic Medicine to the public.
Dr. Ayoup has applied Naturopathic Medicine across multiple avenues. In addition to clinical practice, these include working as a CCNM recruitment representative and teaching assistant; organizing & teaching various public CE courses at CCNM; a Naturopathic consultant for one of Canada’s largest nation-wide Employee Assistance Programs; and proudly has penned a portfolio of published articles covering both general & retail-focused topics in natural medicine. Dr. Rob is currently a contributing author to the Naturopathic Currents website.
The bridge into Naturopathic Aesthetics began soon after graduation. Upon completing additional training in Cosmetic Facial and Cellulite Acupuncture, Dr. Rob soon found a strong interest in his patient population for less invasive and natural approaches to skin health and beauty. This was accelerated by the recognition that, although well trained for managing common skin concerns, the knowledge base for the ever-growing and prevalent realm of natural-based cosmetics and cosmetic techniques was underexplored. As Dr. Rob studied and integrated these therapies into his practice, he quickly realized how much Naturopathic therapies, and especially our approach, can offer in the arena of Aesthetics Medicine. Working within various medical spa and fitness facilities have offered a wonderful opportunity to integrate Naturopathic Aesthetics in the Toronto area. Building on his passion for constant learning & teaching, Dr Rob is eager to educate his fellow NDs as to this exciting application of Naturopathic Medicine.
Frequently Asked Questions
All you need to do is go to your My Courses page and login! If it’s your first time logging in, there are a few profile questions you’ll be asked to fill out first.