- Naturopathic Aesthetics: Acne Vulgaris 3h 30min
Naturopathic Aesthetics: Acne Vulgaris
Acne vulgaris holds a unique place in the realm of cosmetic dermatology, as it is often experienced as much more than simply a ‘skin’ concern, but rather that of an aesthetics concern. As such, outside of managing the signs of skin aging, acne treatment is one of the most sought-after services in an aesthetics practice. Our goal in this course is to complement, yet extend beyond, the standard ‘textbook’ Naturopathic approaches to managing acne. With a primary focus on topical therapies, this course is designed to provide a variety of unique facets for acne care in your Naturopathic Aesthetics practice, including:
- Assessment tools to establish and monitor acne lesion severity, sebum severity, clinical photography tips, and patient-experience measures;
- To determine those acne-appropriate types of skin cleansers, moisturizers, serums, toners, spot-treatments, and oil-absorbing products;
- Recommendations for frequency of skin cleansing;
- To explore the acne-related research behind, and methods to maintain, an optimal skin barrier, skin pH and skin microbiome;
- A detailed review of both established cosmeceutical ingredients (including retinoids, salicylic acid and tea tree oil), as well as emerging cosmeceutical ingredients (including ceramide-based topicals, niacinamide, topical probiotics, and Vitamin C) for acne treatment;
- A review of unique oral supplements to consider (including probiotics and green tea).
This course will also provide a series of quick-reference charts outlining those cosmeceutical ingredients to consider for managing: skin oiliness; reducing inflammation; preventing post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation (at the spot of previous acne lesion); and in managing skin erythema and sensitivity.
- Understand the key pathogenic processes which contribute to acne lesion formation
- Identify and distinguish between inflammatory and non-inflammatory acne lesions
- Review traditional treatment strategies from both conventional and Naturopathic approaches
- Review the role and implementation of various acne lesion and sebum assessment tools for clinical practice
- Review key techniques in using clinical photography in before/after assessment
- Understand the role and benefit of an acne-focused patient reported outcomes measure assessment, along with a perceived stress assessment, in acne management
- Explore and discuss common myths surrounding acne and cosmeceutical product use
- Review the role and benefit of skin barrier support in acne management
- Explore the structure, nomenclature, and evidence-based use of ceramide-containing cosmeceuticals in managing acne
- Review the goals of skin cleansing, the various classes of skin cleansers, and roles of specialty cleansing products
- Identify which cleanser types are best for use in acne management
- Understand the recommended, and research-based, frequency of facial skin cleansing
- Review the various types of moisturizing ingredients and serums, and their role in acne
- Understand the role of toners, facial masks, and oil-absorbing ingredients/products in managing acne
- Explore cosmeceuticals used in acne lesion spot treatments
- Understand the role and connections between skin pH and acne
- Identify methods to maintain an optimal skin pH
- Review research surrounding established/traditional cosmeceuticals used in acne treatment
- Review research surrounding emerging cosmeceuticals used in acne treatment
- Identify cosmeceutical active ingredients beneficial in limiting excess oiliness/surface sebum
- Identify cosmeceutical active ingredients providing an anti-inflammatory action
- Identify cosmeceutical active ingredients for the prevention of acne-associated post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation
- Identify cosmeceutical active ingredients for managing acne-associated facial redness and skin sensitivity
- Review novel & emerging oral supplements researched for use in acne
- Explore the emerging data surrounding the role of the skin microbiome
- Review researched associations between both topical and oral probiotics and acne pathophysiology
- Identify topical and oral probiotics cited in acne research, and found in a growing number of cosmeceuticals
Proudly celebrating over 15 years in the profession, Dr. Rob Ayoup, ND, has worked to promote the rich benefits of Naturopathic Medicine to all those he has worked with. After achieving his BSc in Psychology from McGill University, this proud Montreal native traveled down the highway to attend The Canadian College of Naturopathic Medicine in Toronto. Graduating in 2002, and settling in the Toronto area, Dr. Rob has enjoyed a career filled with varied and unique ways of offering Naturopathic Medicine to the public.
Dr. Ayoup has applied Naturopathic Medicine across multiple avenues. In addition to clinical practice, these include working as a CCNM recruitment representative and teaching assistant; organizing & teaching various public CE courses at CCNM; a Naturopathic consultant for one of Canada’s largest nation-wide Employee Assistance Programs; and proudly has penned a portfolio of published articles covering both general & retail-focused topics in natural medicine. Dr. Rob is currently a contributing author to the Naturopathic Currents website.
The bridge into Naturopathic Aesthetics began soon after graduation. Upon completing additional training in Cosmetic Facial and Cellulite Acupuncture, Dr. Rob soon found a strong interest in his patient population for less invasive and natural approaches to skin health and beauty. This was accelerated by the recognition that, although well trained for managing common skin concerns, the knowledge base for the ever-growing and prevalent realm of natural-based cosmetics and cosmetic techniques was underexplored. As Dr. Rob studied and integrated these therapies into his practice, he quickly realized how much Naturopathic therapies, and especially our approach, can offer in the arena of Aesthetics Medicine. Working within various medical spa and fitness facilities have offered a wonderful opportunity to integrate Naturopathic Aesthetics in the Toronto area. Building on his passion for constant learning & teaching, Dr Rob is eager to educate his fellow NDs as to this exciting application of Naturopathic Medicine.
Frequently Asked Questions
All you need to do is go to your My Courses page and login! If it’s your first time logging in, there are a few profile questions you’ll be asked to fill out first.