5 learners taking this course
Although many are vaguely familiar with the cholesterol-lowering properties of phytosterols, most do not know that their application in the fields of bone health, heart health, endocrinology, and oncology is actually quite astounding. In this truly comprehensive 2.25-hour presentation, Dr. Jillian Stansbury dives into the complicated language surrounding phytosterols (including the difference between true steroids versus compounds with hormonal effects), the various subtypes of phytosterols, plant sources of phytosterols and their physiological properties, and tremendously helpful exploration into the medicinal actions of these compounds. Combining her knowledge of traditional herbalism with an impressive evidence-based commentary, this webinar is a fantastic primer for those interested in the burgeoning field of phytosterols as medicine.
- Provide a brief overview of the historical uses of phytosterols
- Demystify commonly confused terms and review proper language surrounding phytosterols and their subtypes
- Review indications for, mechanism of action of, and common side effects of phytosterol compounds
- Critically examine the literature surrounding phytosterol use in modern medicine
- Explore materia medica of herbal sources of phytosterols