78 learners taking this course
There are dozens of herbs useful for coughs but the best results will only be seen when one understands the specific indications for those herbs and can skillfully choose herbs accordingly. Giving moistening herbs for wet coughs and drying herbs for drying will not be effective and can even aggravate symptoms. A thorough knowledge of herbal materia medica choices and their specific indications can help a clinician create highly effective cough remedies. Herbal antispasmodics, herbal anti-inflammatories, anti-microbials, anti-allergy herbs, herbal demulcents, astringents can be chosen and formulated best treat individual presentations and constitutions.
- Identify the different layers of the skin
- Appreciate how cough may be a symptom of infection, allergy, asthma, chronic irritation, and heart disease.
- List herbs that are specifically indicated for each of the above situations.
- Identify herbs that are drying and herbs that are moistening and when each are most indicated and best used.
- Identify herbs that are the strongest antimicrobials and when and how they can be featured in herbal formulas
- Describe what situations a counter irritant would be indicated.
- Craft sophisticated herbal formulas to best address individual presentations.