- Lesson 1 | Overview & History 1h 00min
- Lesson 2 | Methods of Extraction 40min
- Lesson 3 | Methods of Extraction – Distillery Tour 20min
- Lesson 4 | Quality & Testing 1h 15min
Introduction to Clinical Aromatherapy
This webinar will provide a thorough introduction into the world of clinical aromatherapy and essential oils. Participants will discover the rich history of aromatherapy from the era of the ancients to modern times. We will delve into the world of plant physiology and learn the reasons why plants actually produce essential oils, as well as the differences between primary and secondary metabolites. The importance of quality and quality control will be discussed, and analytical tools including gas chromatography and mass spectrometry will be explored. Other topics will include the various definitions found within the field of aromatherapy, how essential oils are extracted, their appropriate storage, and shelf-life. Participants will be able to make practical considerations when comparing essential oils, as well as confidently ask the right questions to companies from whom they are considering purchasing essential oils.
NOTE: no company names will be mentioned or recommended
- Have an appreciation for how concentrated and potent essential oils are
- Have an appreciation for the rich history of aromatherapy and the various styles found in clinical practice
- Understand the various processes of essential oil extraction
- Understand the importance of dilution in clinical application of essential oils
- Understand the importance of quality control in essential oil production
- Understand the laboratory testing options available, their value and limitations, and potential for adulteration in the industry
- Be able to ask the right questions to potential essential oil distributors so as to confidently select a company from whom to order product.
- Understand the proper storage conditions of essential oils, as well as their shelf life
Timothy Miller ND, LAc, RA is a naturopathic physician, licensed acupuncturist, and registered aromatherapist. He is a graduate of the National College of Natural Medicine (NCNM) in Portland, OR.
Dr. Miller is a chemistry nerd. He is fascinated by the chemistry found in the natural world. Fueled by the abundant, potent, and unique components within aromatherapy, Dr. Miller has sought to understand how essential oils act on the body and identify which clinical applications are best incorporated into practice.
Dr. Miller first began his aromatherapy studies in 2005. He has since traveled the world to advance his understanding of essential oils and their clinical implications. Dr. Miller has studied with Rhiannon Lewis, Mark Webb, Gabriel Mojay, Kurt Schnaubelt, and Jeffrey Yuen. He has successfully completed a National Association of Holistic Aromatherapy (NAHA) approved course and has completed the requirements to become a registered aromatherapist. He is a member of the Aromatherapy Registration Council (ARC).
Beyond his love of aromatherapy, Dr. Miller is an avid traveler and student of foreign languages. He enjoys spending time with his family, watching movies, and being in nature. Dr. Miller loves to learn new things and is driven by self-improvement and emotional intelligence.
Dr. Miller believes deeply in Docere and loves to teach. He is an international speaker, workshop leader and contributing author. He believes learning should be fun and makes every attempt to engage his students in a profound and meaningful way.
Dr. Miller has taken part in several podcasts discussing a range of topics. Please find them below:
1. AromaChemistry with Dr. Tim - NAHA's Beyond Aromatics Podcast
2. How to Fall in Love with Essential Oil Chemistry with Dr. Tim - Atlantic Institute of Aromatherapy and Nyssa Hanger
3. Conscious Living with Dr. Tim - The Orson Wells Show
4. The Naturopathic Journey with Dr. Tim - Eight Billion Podcast
5. Don't Throw Away Your Shot with Dr. Tim - LabAroma Podcast