- Diseases of the Drugs: CVD Triad Part 1 1h 00min
- Diseases of the Drugs: CVD Triad Part 2 40min
- Diseases of the Drugs: CVD Triad Part 3 1h 20min
Diseases of the Drugs: The Cardiovascular Triad
The triad of hypertension, dyslipidemia and dysglycemia is no stranger to health-care providers of any kind; this is the “bread and butter” of many primary care practices. While diet and lifestyle factors certainly play a role (determinants of health), the adverse effects inherent in many of our most prescribed pharmaceutical agents are, in fact, inducing secondary disease states in the population, “necessitating” yet another drug…, which can predispose the patient to yet another disease diagnosis. What a destructive cycle! Here’s how to recognize the major culprits and reverse the disease process. NOTE: this course is NOT designed to encourage chronic drug maintenance; rather, the focus is treating the cause, treating the whole person, doing no harm, and re-establishing health in the patient while preventing future disease. Docere!
- Identify the main players in the cardiovascular array of pharmaceutical agents that cause disease as an adverse event (side effect)
- Recognize the importance of utilizing all aspects of the Naturopathic Principles and the Therapeutic Order to reestablish health and balance
- Appreciate the use of patients’ language around health issues
- Identify when the true etiology of disease is not based in the physical plane, but requires diligent (and gentle) pursuit within the mental, emotional, and/or spiritual planes
- Re-ground themselves in their naturopathic roots. (Just in case some of you have gotten busy or caught up in conventional standards of care and have possibly overlooked the obvious. No judgement here—it happens.)
I earned a Bachelor of Science degree in Pharmacy from the Medical College of Virginia/Virginia Commonwealth University, in 1988. After practicing as a retail pharmacist in the greater Richmond area for a decade, I attended Bastyr University, earning a doctorate in Naturopathic Medicine in 2004. Because of my unique education and training, I understand both conventional medicine as well as natural forms of healing. And because I’ve been asked to teach on pharmacology/pharmacy related topics to my beloved naturopathic profession, I study them constantly, going deeper into the intricacies and nuances of the agents and uncovering some astonishing information that I think YOU (and your patients/clients) would benefit from knowing!
--Christie Fleetwood, ND, RPh
Frequently Asked Questions
All you need to do is go to your My Courses page and login! If it’s your first time logging in, there are a few profile questions you’ll be asked to fill out first.