- Lesson 1 | An Introduction
- Lesson 2 | Chemical Families
- Lesson 3 | Functional Groups
- Lesson 4 | Miscellaneous AromaChemistry Topics
- Lesson 5 | Functional Group Profiles
- Lesson 6 | Therapeutic Action and Safety Speculation Exercise
- BONUS MATERIAL
AromaChemistry: Full Course
Get to know Dr. Tim’s Teaching Style:
Let’s face it: AromaChemistry can be challenging. So many different molecules, chemical families, technical drawings, and not to mention the hard-to- say names. Despite the visceral reaction we might have in response to all-things chemistry-related, essential oils are, after all, potent chemical cocktails. As such, understanding chemistry is the backbone to understanding the safe and effective use of aromatherapy.
Roll up your sleeves and get ready to see chemistry in a whole new light! Dr. Tim is going to show you how fascinating AromaChemistry is and how you can use chemistry in a profound and impactful way. We will revisit the primary biosynthetic pathways, functional groups, and their generalized therapeutic indications. We will outline the most important and juicy chemistry details so that you, the aromatherapy practitioner, can enhance your aromatic practice and maximize your therapeutic results while keeping in mind safety.
Please Note: This course is designed to be a low-pressure, fun learning environment where we start at the most fundamental, basic level for all topics discussed. Absolutely no prior understanding of chemistry needed – we are starting at Square 1 and will use easy-to- understand language throughout the course!
Let’s do this!
Lesson 1 | Introduction to AromaChemistry (2 hours)
- An Introduction to AromaChemistry (35 minutes)
- Covalent Bonds & The Golden Rule (10 minutes)
- Ionic Bonds (20 minutes)
- Writing Out Structures (25 minutes)
- An Introduction to Benzene (15 minutes)
- Meditation Review – Lesson 1 (15 minutes)
- Quiz – Lesson 1
Lesson 2 | Chemical Families (1.5 hours)
- An Introduction to Chemical Families (15 minutes)
- Chemical Families Identification Exercise (30 minutes)
- Biosynthetic Pathways (15 minutes)
- Terpenes vs. Terpenoids (15 minutes)
- Meditation Review – Lesson 2 (15 minutes)
- Quiz – Lesson 2
Lesson 3 | Introduction to Functional Groups (1.5 hours)
- An Introduction to Functional Groups (15 minutes)
- Functional Groups Review – Part 1 (15 minutes)
- Functional Groups Review – Part 2 (20 minutes)
- Functional Groups Review – Part 3 (15 minutes)
- Functional Groups Review – Final Review (10 minutes)
- Meditation Review – Lesson 3 (15 minutes)
- Quiz – Lesson 3
Lesson 4 | Miscellaneous AromaChemistry Topics (2 hours)
- An Introduction to Isomers and Structural Isomers (25 minutes)
- Stereoisomers (35 minutes)
- Chemotypes (30 minutes)
- CO2 Extraction vs. Distillation (30 minutes)
- Alcohols: Primary vs. Secondary vs. Tertiary (30 minutes)
- Quiz – Lesson 4
Lesson 5 | Functional Group Profiles (2.25 hours)
- An Introduction to the Components and Monoterpenes (15 minutes)
- Monoterpenols (15 minutes)
- Sesquiterpenes (15 minutes)
- Sesquiterpenols and Diterpenols (15 minutes)
- Phenols (15 minutes)
- Ketones (15 minutes)
- Aldehydes (15 minutes)
- Esters (15 minutes)
- Ethers (15 minutes)
- Quiz – Lesson 5
Lesson 6 | Therapeutic Action and Safety Speculation (1 hour)
- Therapeutic Action and Safety Speculation Exercise (60 minutes)
- Quiz – Lesson 6
BONUS MATERIAL (14 hours)
- AromaChemistry: Full Course** (Recording from a Live, In-Person 2-Day Class)
- Facebook Live on Monoterpenes (Hosted by Healthy Lifestyles Consumer Reviews)
**Please Note: The video recording of AromaChemistry Live included in the BONUS lesson has natural audio and video interruptions and background noises. This live class was offered for and meant to cater to the live audience in attendance. Since we were having a live course anyway, I decided to record it to make it available as a “bonus” or “added value” to the AromaChemistry: Full Course online. You may not be able to hear or see everything perfectly! Your core lessons are designed for and cater to an online viewing experience! Happy learning! 😉
Timothy Miller ND, LAc, RA is a naturopathic physician, licensed acupuncturist, and registered aromatherapist. He is a graduate of the National College of Natural Medicine (NCNM) in Portland, OR.
Dr. Tim is a chemistry nerd. He is fascinated by the chemistry found in the natural world. Fueled by the abundant, potent, and unique components within aromatherapy, Dr. Tim has sought to understand how essential oils act on the body and identify which clinical applications are best incorporated into practice.
Dr. Tim first began his aromatherapy studies in 2005. He has since traveled the world to advance his understanding of essential oils and their clinical implications. Dr. Tim has studied with Rhiannon Lewis, Mark Webb, Gabriel Mojay, Kurt Schnaubelt, and Jeffrey Yuen. He has successfully completed a National Association of Holistic Aromatherapy (NAHA) approved course and has completed the requirements to become a registered aromatherapist. He is a member of the Aromatherapy Registration Council (ARC).
Beyond his love of aromatherapy, Dr. Tim is an avid traveler and student of foreign languages. He enjoys spending time with his family, watching movies, and being in nature. Dr. Tim loves to learn new things and is driven by self-improvement and emotional intelligence.
Dr. Tim believes deeply in Docere and loves to teach. He is an international speaker, workshop leader and contributing author. He believes learning should be fun and makes every attempt to engage his students in a profound and meaningful way.
Dr. Tim has taken part in several podcasts discussing a range of topics. Please find them below:
1. AromaChemistry with Dr. Tim - NAHA's Beyond Aromatics Podcast
2. How to Fall in Love with Essential Oil Chemistry with Dr. Tim - Atlantic Institute of Aromatherapy and Nyssa Hanger
3. Conscious Living with Dr. Tim - The Orson Wells Show
4. The Naturopathic Journey with Dr. Tim - Eight Billion Podcast
5. Don't Throw Away Your Shot with Dr. Tim - LabAroma Podcast